Subject: Re: non-core translations

From: "araizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:52:22 -0000

la lojbab cusku di'e

> Now that I am again working on the dictionary file, I should note 
again 
> that I HAVE made very minor changes to the text of my "working 
copy" of the 
> English gismu list, but nothing substantive like a change in 
keyword - 
> usually adding in a word or two to the definition or explanatory 
text to 
> clarify things that arise in the process of writing dictionary 
entries.

I realize that these are just clarifications and should not change 
the meaning, but I still have a problem with any changes other than 
correction of typos to the baseline list. There are words whose exact 
meaning is disputed, and adding clarification could change the 
interpretation. For example, there are those who say that 'botpi' is 
any closable container, whereas others say it's more like 
English 'bottle'. Adding clarification to 'botpi' could decide in 
favor of one of the interpretations.

Also, there are now some translation project of the gismu list. I 
think it is important when translating to follow the English as much 
as the structure and semantics of the target languages will allow, 
since that is the baseline document. If clarifications are added to 
the baseline gismu list, translations made before then would become 
somewhat not up-to-date.

Of course, clarifications of various gismu are needed, I just don't 
think that they should be merged into the baseline document if we 
want to call it a baseline document.

mu'o mi'e .adam.