Subject: Re: non-core translations

From: "araizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:26:42 -0000

la lojbab cusku di'e

> I think you are misconstruing the baseline. 

Indeed I was. In fact, how you describe the situation, all that is 
really baselined is the list of actual gismu with their general 
meaning as set by the keyword. Everything else could theoretically be 
open to debate and change if a consensus is reached. I was under the 
impression that the whole list was baselined and would be considered 
the defining document for the dictionary.

I think that the gismu list, as it is currently organized, consists 
of three parts: keyword, basic definition for logflash, longer 
definition with clarifications, lujvo, etc. When translating, for 
example, the most important thing is to get a keyword for the gismu, 
and then you translate the base definition, and then the additional 
clarification (the additional clarifications have not yet been 
translated into Spanish, for example, though perhaps they didn't 
exist when that translation was made). You could leave the current 
definition in place and still add clarifications which could be 
considered part of the baseline when the dictionary is published. 
(Either by adding a new clarification section, or by adding to the 
last clarification section with the lujvo etc.) It is well known that 
there are many gismu whose keyword is very misleading, and the 
generally accepted solution is simply to ignore the keyword and 
concentrate on the entire definition. If you need to change the 
baseline definition, you could do it with minimal damage to the long 
accepted definition.

mu'o mi'e .adam.