Subject: Re: [lojban] panje

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:02:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2002 3:33:10 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> a three-dimensional object that is full of holes throughout. The meanings 
> overlap (my bath sponge is both), but I don't see how the word is extended 
> to 
> corals, which belong to the Cnidaria and don't have holes throughout. Can 
> someone explain? What should we call sponges, in the Porifera sense? What 
> should we call corals?
> 

Maybe it means "mostly untravelling spineless critters in oceans," but that 
doesn't cover the general "porous material" sense (does holystone count?) . 
I think the creators went off in two directions from the Porifera and failed 
to reconcile them. The emphasis is clearly on the porous, though,. I 
suppose that Porifera are {panje danlu}, "spongy critters" or whatever 
fu'ivlos out of {danlu porifera}. Individual corals and certain coral 
structures are not very beholed, but at least some types of coral reefs are 
-- as well as some other coral structures (brains, e.g.). Maybe that is a 
further ground for the slide.