Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: non-core translations

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:29:06 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked] writes:

Your former impression is correct. The baselining clearly was intended to 
freeze the place structures as well as the words and keywords. I opposed 
freezing the place structures but was outvoted. ....

I hate the keywords, since they sometimes are misleading. The place
structures define lojban, since they replicate it. It was a good idea
to freeze them.

But as lojbab says:

.... Even so, baseline or not, ANYTHING can be changed by consensus
of the community ....

and the end of the freeze period is coming up.

The point I want to make -- and this is very relevant to people
creating dictionaries in non-English languages -- is that the place
structures tell you more about the meaning of the gismu than the
keyword. Please look at the place structure!

> When translating, for example, the most important thing is to get
> a keyword for the gismu, ....

No! Please don't! Please look at and translate the place structures.
Ignore the keywords.

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked] [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com
Free Software Foundation http://www.gnu.org GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8