Subject: Re: [lojban] panje

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:26:41 -0400

At 07:02 PM 8/6/02 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

In a
message dated 8/6/2002 3:33:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

a three-dimensional object that is
full of holes throughout. The meanings

overlap (my bath sponge is both), but I don't see how the word is
extended to

corals, which belong to the Cnidaria and don't have holes throughout. Can

someone explain? What should we call sponges, in the Porifera sense? What

should we call corals?

Maybe it means "mostly untravelling spineless critters in
oceans," but that doesn't cover the general "porous
material" sense (does holystone count?) .  I think the creators
went off in two directions from the Porifera and failed to reconcile
them.  The emphasis is clearly on the porous, though,.  I
suppose that Porifera are {panje danlu}, "spongy critters" or
whatever fu'ivlos out of {danlu porifera}.  Individual corals and
certain coral structures are not very beholed, but at least some types of
coral reefs are -- as well as some other coral structures (brains,
e.g.).  Maybe that is a further ground for the slide.

Yes the intent was coral structures.  We specifically eschewed
attempting to line the gismu up with standard biological classification
schemas, which should be fu'ivla if you want to be technical, or lujvo if
you want to be expressive.

lojbab

--

lojbab
[email-masked]

Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.

2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303
USA
703-385-0273

Artificial language
Loglan/Lojban:
http://www.lojban.org