Subject: Re: [lojban] panje

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:25:03 -0400

Sorry about that - no idea why it sent it in HTML, though it appears that 
Eudora is trying to pick up the fonts that some other posters are using and 
applying them to all the text. Hopefully, I've fixed it so that it won't 
do so this time.

At 07:02 PM 8/6/02 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>In a message dated 8/6/2002 3:33:10 PM Central Daylight Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
>>a three-dimensional object that is full of holes throughout. The meanings
>>overlap (my bath sponge is both), but I don't see how the word is 
>>extended to
>>corals, which belong to the Cnidaria and don't have holes throughout. Can
>>someone explain? What should we call sponges, in the Porifera sense? What
>>should we call corals?
>
>Maybe it means "mostly untravelling spineless critters in oceans," but 
>that doesn't cover the general "porous material" sense (does holystone 
>count?) . I think the creators went off in two directions from the 
>Porifera and failed to reconcile them. The emphasis is clearly on the 
>porous, though,. I suppose that Porifera are {panje danlu}, "spongy 
>critters" or whatever fu'ivlos out of {danlu porifera}. Individual corals 
>and certain coral structures are not very beholed, but at least some types 
>of coral reefs are -- as well as some other coral structures (brains, 
>e.g.). Maybe that is a further ground for the slide.

Yes the intent was coral structures. We specifically eschewed attempting 
to line the gismu up with standard biological classification schemas, which 
should be fu'ivla if you want to be technical, or lujvo if you want to be 
expressive.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org