Subject: Re: non-core translations

From: "sklyanin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:07:54 -0000

coi rodo

I would like to share with the current translators of gi'uste into
French, German, Esperanto etc. some of my experiences gained
during the translation of gi'uste into Russian
(the project is 85% accomplished, you can browse the translated 
portions
at
http://lojban.narod.ru/Gismu/index.html
).

Firstly, in my opinion, it is more productive to translate
gismu not at random (e.g. in alphabetic order) but in groups
pertaining to some topic. For my project, I have divided
1342 gismu into 50 thematic groups using my Lojban thesaurus
http://members.lycos.co.uk/lojbanlinks/thsrs.tex
(there used to be an HTML verion at
http://www.balvi.org/stodi/gismu-thesaurus.html
but recently the balvi site keeps giving 500 Internal Server Error)

For example: plant names, physiology, space relations, time,
chemical substances, technology etc, etc...

Such approach allows to easily spot similarities or dissimilarities
between the definitions (and to save time by simply copying the 
repeating pieces) and, in my experience, helps also to memorize the
gismu.

Another device I am using is an XML-type markup of the list.
For example, I mark up all the gismu in the text 
(mainly in the commentaries) with <g></g>, cmavo with <c></c>, 
lujvo with <j></j>, a piece of lojban text with <l></l>.
Subsequently, it may be useful to generate an HTML file with the
links to the dictionary entries or to print them in a different font.
Partially, it can be done post factum, automatically but there is 
always possibility of an error like "since" which could be both an
English word and a gismu. I think it is better, and not so time 
consuming, to do it from the very beginning, while translating the 
list.

co'o mi'e .evgenis.