Subject: Where are balvi & valfa'i? (was: non-core translations)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, sklyanin wrote:

> For my project, I have divided
> 1342 gismu into 50 thematic groups using my Lojban thesaurus
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/lojbanlinks/thsrs.tex
> (there used to be an HTML verion at
> http://www.balvi.org/stodi/gismu-thesaurus.html
> but recently the balvi site keeps giving 500 Internal Server Error)

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my apologies for this state
of affairs. Several factors all converged: interpersonal problems with the
previous sysadmin (the result of a love triangle I wasn't part of), the
death of my workstation, I moved and have no net connectivity at my home
yet, and a weird jdbc/mysql glitch on balvi's new host (my setup works
everywhere else so I blame the sysadmin; all other apps connect to mysql
just fine so he blames my app).

My workstation is back to life and I am working on a new version of
valfa'i, which I hope will make up for the outage. When it goes up, the
Java source code, .ear file, and database data will be available for
download and mirroring. I will try to get the current version of valfa'i
running as soon as possible. I also have a new version of balvi in the
works, which I expect will be released before spring 2003.

In the meantime, reference materials that were linked from my balvi stodi
page should be accessible from the lojban portal at
<http://selgre.lojban.org>. You will note that this is really a front-end
for certain directory-bearing wiki pages, so if a link is missing, just
add it to the wiki.

-- 
Nisha, 26, clutching an ice cream and her toddler son, read impassively
through a leaflet calling for immediate dialogue with Pakistan to avert
the horror of a nuclear war. "Why should we worry about this?" she said
with a shrug. "India has more nuclear weapons than Pakistan. We will
wipe them off the map and win the war."