Subject: Arbitrary baseline violations (was: zo xruti xruti)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Jorge Llambias wrote:

> Anyway, I have changed the Spanish definition to read thus:
>
> xruti xru volver
> x1 vuelve/regresa/retorna a estado/lugar anterior/original x2 desde x3;
> [def. oficial: x1 devuelve/regresa x2 a persona/estado/lugar
> anterior/original x3 desde x4]
>
> This way the official definition is acknowledged, while presenting
> the other one as preferred.

This is something that belongs in commentary, rather than the official
dictionary. No gismu list should deviate in place structure: that is too
blatant a violation, and cannot be justified as difference of translation
opinion!

-- 
Nisha, 26, clutching an ice cream and her toddler son, read impassively
through a leaflet calling for immediate dialogue with Pakistan to avert
the horror of a nuclear war. "Why should we worry about this?" she said
with a shrug. "India has more nuclear weapons than Pakistan. We will
wipe them off the map and win the war."