Subject: Re: [lojban] space tenses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:24:40 EDT

As I said, temporal tenses are worse. About the time my lst message went 
out, I awoke seeing clearly that that message was confused, confusing and in 
large measure wrong. All the tenses place the event in the sentnece relative 
to the axis in the appropriate way. The common (I trust xorxeson this) usage 
of inchoative and perfective seems to put the axis relative to the event -- 
and the blurb lends itself readily to that interpretation. But it should not 
be -- the fact that, relative to the event, the inchoative is past, does not 
mean that inchoative is a past kind of tense (nor mirrorly for the 
perfective), but rather that it is a future one, since it is the axis to 
event direction that counts always. So, it is the axis which lies in the 
event contour in question and so, as xorxes says, Nick has asked people to be 
building up to the work on 9/20 (and presumably actually doing it by 10/1 and 
finishing by ?). As usual, when xorxes isn't unlojbanic, he is right -- and 
often when he at first seems unlojbanic as well. [I have the distinct 
feeling that I have been on the wrong side of this issue in the past but 
can't find the cases at the moment; {za'o} as a sumti tcita should introduce 
where/when one has actually gotten to, not what one has overshot.]