Subject: RE: [lojban] x3 of dasni

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:53:19 +0100

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> [email-masked] writes:
> >Apparently, you find even the intensional reading of
> >L1 objectionable, 
> (You must have meant "extensional reading" up there.
> No, I meant "intensional, as the full context makes clear(er?). The 
> rest of your comments thus are a bit off the mark. 

Naturally (i.e. as a law of nature) I agreed with Jorge, but I
wonder whether the crux of the disagreement between you is
what it means to say "there is a" - as in "There is a coat that
I wear the blanket as". Jorge says that's not what "I wear
the blanket as a coat" means, and you say it is. If we evaluate
the claim over the universe of actual things, then Jorge is
right. If we evaluate it over the universe of actual and
imaginary things, then pc is right.

Allegedly, the distinction is disambiguated by "lo ka'e kosta"
v. "lo ca'a kosta" or "lo pu'i kosta" (I don't know what the
difference between those two is), but I doubt that usage bears
that out, since usage tends to reflect the ma'oste glosses of
'capability', and not the rather different notion of selection
of universes of individuals.

--And.