Subject: RE: [lojban] space tenses

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:49:41 -0400

At 07:07 PM 8/11/02 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > The most intense discussions on this, as I remember, I had with
> > Lojbab, and they were before you joined the list, and also before
> > the Book was published. Obviously I did not manage to convince
> > him.
>
>Nobody manages to convince Lojbab. What convinces Lojbab is when
>one or more people he esteems get convinced.

Pretty good insight. Lojbab doesn't think he owns the language (or even 
that he knows it best), and therefore does not take personally any possible 
change. He is also by nature a descriptivist and not prescriptivist, so is 
inclined to go with "whatever works". But he also feels that he is obliged 
by his role to be the philosophically conservative force resisting any 
unnecessary change that would drive old timers away, as well as resisting 
the tendency of conlangers to "fiddle".

But one correction. These days, lojbab esteems a lot of people for lojban 
skill, and as the numbers increase, it takes convincing a larger number to 
convince lojbab. I don't think that convincing one or two is enough any more.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org