Subject: Re: [lojban] x3 of dasni

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:46:32 -0400

At 02:12 PM 8/13/02 +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la pycyn cusku di'e
> >In the only visible sense of "have as the second argument",
> >both {mi nitcu tu'a lo dinko} and {mi nitcu lo dinko} have nails as the
> >second argument, in one case in extension, in the other in intension.
>
>When I look at {tu'a lo dinko} I see {le du'u lo dinko cu co'e}.
>Maybe I am overly structured, but I can't see this as nails in
>intension, I keep seeing it as a proposition about nails.

It works as a proposition about nails. For nitcu, co'e would usually 
represent zvati be ti, or ponse be mi or something to that effect.

I haven't been following the discussion, but Nora tried for a while, and 
together we were wondering whether you had considered "loi kosta" for the 
x3 of dasni, loi kosta being something that exists as part of the mass of 
things that display the relevant properties of leka ce'u kosta. (I won't 
pretend to guess whether extensional or intensional applies to loi broda.)

> >The nearest thing I have been able to come up with in trying to
> >understand this is {lo'e broda} in a place is part of a disjoint tanru (if
> >it
> >ain't a thing then its a predicate in Lojban) which has some effect on the
> >indicated place -- different from having it filled by a reference to a
> >broda, but distinctly brodaish, so different from what {lo'e brode} would
> >do.
>
>That's not a bad way of looking at it! {broda lo'e brode} can
>be thought of as {brode broda zi'o}, except that the tanru
>relationship is much more precise in the first case.

Without too much thought, I think I can live with that, which might make it 
the first time that pc, Jorge and lojbab have ever agreed on something %^)

I'm not sure it really "defines" lo'e but it seems like to would be 
workable thing to use in explaining its usage "all in lojban" whenever we 
get to trying to do so without resort to natural language examples.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org