Subject: Re: [lojban] Phrases for language learners

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:36:01 +0000

la filip cusku di'e

>I wasn't sure what to put for x1 in the sentences with "cusku" and "fanva",
>though, since I really wanted the impersonal "you" (aka "one") -- "How 
>would
>one say X in Lojban?", "How would one translate X into Lojban?".

The best idea I've heard so far for impersonal "you" is
using {zu'i}. (This is on the Wiki page about "you get what you
pay for".) I take it that {zu'i} is to {da} as {lo'e} is to {lo}.

>Is {do} really the appropriate pro-sumti here? That would sound more like
>"What's your personal translation of X?" or "How would *you* say X in
>Lojban?" to me. But I confess I don't know the conventions here and am 
>going
>by the meaning "do = you the listener(s)".

I agree with you. The convention so far has been to go with
English and just use {do}, but more for lack of thinking about
it than anything else, I believe.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx