Subject: Re: [lojban] .uanai ne'i le velcli

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:24:35 +0000

la pycyn cusku di'e

>"More precise" seems litotes here, sinc the original is just nonsense --
>sending mail is not language connected (except in very literal trats from
>English).

I had to look up "litotes", thanks for the new word. My dictionary
says it is "an understatement in which an affirmative is expressed
by the negative of the contrary (as in "not a bad singer")", so
it wouldn't quite apply.

In any case, I would have agreed with you not very long ago, but
the spatial tense discussion has left me a bit uneasy about how
exactly the additional (tagged) places fit with the event in
question. If the location need not be connected to each participant,
why does the language have to be connected with every participant?
Of course, if you talk of "sending mail" it sounds weird to
connect it to a language, but if you talk of "being a mail message
that is sent", it certainly can have a language. And {mrilu} is no
more "sending mail" than "being a mailed message", it all depends
on where we focus. I don't have a clear position on the issue right
now, just a lot of doubts.

><<i drani i ui cinri mupli i e'u fanva le pamoi fu lu mi pu tavla lo
>pendo poi mi pu to'e morji le nu ei mi tavla ke'a li'u
> >>
>
>I am unsure about the force of {ei} buried under several subordinators;

I take UIs to apply in the subordinated phrase in which they
appear, with minimum scope. It feels much better using them that
way than trying to figure out what they would mean if they had
widest scope.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx