Subject: Re: [lojban] Phrases for language learners

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:14:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2002 12:46:57 AM Central Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

<<
> But it is exactly the case - the command to translate and a question
> about result of translation simultaneously.
> >>
Both of these are covered by either part: a question about what the 
translation is *is* a request to translate (i.e., supply the result of 
translation) and a command to supply the result of translation is to ask what 
that result is (supply an anwer to this question).

<<
If you are looking for a really strange example, consider {ko mo}.

At first glance, this looks like the English "Do what?" "What did you command 
me to do?" (or maybe "What did I command you to do?"). But I don't suppose 
it really is. How can it be taken seriously *as a command* (over and above 
the question value)? Or does the interrogative force override all other 
command functions?