Subject: Re: [lojban] .uanai ne'i le velcli

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jordan DeLong wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:14:47AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> > In a message dated 8/19/2002 5:49:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
> > [email-masked] writes:
> [...]
> > The question is, first, whether one is here *expressing* an obligation or
> > merely *reporting* that one has (or had) one. I think that {ei} only
> > expresses and that this case is too deeply buried to be an expression, hence
> > the need to state the obligation openly. Secondly, the question is whether
> [...]
>
> I had this same argument with xorxes already on jboste (bau la
> lojban. though so it wasn't quite this lame). Check CLL chapter
> 2, he's right -- certain attitudinals modify the meaning of the
> bridi instead of just expressing how you feel. ".ei" is one of the
> former.

If I recall properly, the result of a long argument on this list is that
the distinction between pure emotion indicators and propositional attitude
indicators is more of a suggestion, or a set of defaults, rather than a
guaranteed policy.

-- 
China's longest-serving political prisoner, Wang Wanxing, 52, is being
held at the Ankang Psychiatric Hospital for treatment of Political
Abnormality Illness.