Subject: Re: [lojban] memories

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:49:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2002 9:11:09 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> If {morsi le nu} were taken to mean "remember to do X",
> i.e. remember that X is intended to be done and doing it,
> then I suppose {djuno le nu} would have to be knowing that
> X is intended to be done and doing it, in other words,
> doing something intentionally: "I knew to drop the box" =
> "I knew what I was doing when I dropped the box". 
Whoa. There is a difference between knowing that something is to be done and 
so doing it and doing it intentionally. Doing it intentionally only requires 
awareness that you are doing it and consciousness that you are not compelled 
in doing it (in some very loose sense of "compelled"). The correspondent to 
the {morji le nu} suggested would be the first: knowing something is to be 
done and doing it for that reason (perhaps among others), a much narrower 
notion. And that is almost (but not quite) what English "know to" means: 
knows what is proper in a situation and does it. I am not sure, but I think 
this is a slightly broader notion, since what is proper in a situation may 
not be in the normal sense something that is to be done.

<<
doing something intentionally: "I knew to drop the box" =
"I knew what I was doing when I dropped the box". That
seems to be covered by {zukte}, which suggests something
like Pierre's {zukmo'i} for "remember to", though it
bothers me to use {morji} as the final element because
it is not a du'u but a nu that one remebers to do, so
it is more a kind of zukte than a kind of morji.

That seems to be right (aside from the bit moving from intentions to 
intentional), and {mojyzu'e} a better word for it: the "what remembered" 
place of {morji} supplying the purpose place of {zukte}. I suppose a similar 
version could be made for {djuno}.