Subject: Re: [lojban] memories

From: "la .iusris." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:56:16 -0400

On Monday 19 August 2002 05:08 pm, [email-masked] wrote:

> Well, if he remembered to do it, he did it AND he remembered, in the
> ordinary sense, that it was to be done (though how that is expressed is
> another matter). I would take {morji le nu}, which is not now in use but
> is grammatical, as a way of saying all this (an idiom, to be sure, but a
> familiar one in western langauges -- what is the situation in Arabic and
> Chinese?) What can be said then of {djuno le nu}, "knows to do"?

This concept in Arabic, /tadhakira an yaf`al/ (literally translated as 
'he-remembered to do (by-him)' has the connotation that the action was both 
remembered and completed. Of course, through inflection the difference 
between merely remembering and actually completing the action can be made 
apparent by stressing /tadhakira/ (he-remembered), as in English.

Can this inflection not possibly be approximated by use of an attitudinal 
({.uonai} or some other) correctly placed to indicate incompletion... or by 
using true speech inflection?

--
mi'e .iusris. 
.i lenu viska secau lenu zukte cu dunli lenu ciksne
.i lenu zukte secau lenu viska cu dunli lenu tepsne 
.i to lo ponklu selsku toi