Subject: Broken Phone Round 4: posted to Wiki

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:01:19 +0100

http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?Round%20four

Below I'll include the initial and final versions, but with
a lot of space in front (because Colin doesn't want to see the
original yet).

If you think the original text is hellishly difficult (-- it
was chosen randomly), just go to the Wiki & see what an amazing
job Jorge did of turning it back into English. There are other
impressive translations later on in the chain, but the text had
degraded by then.

INITIAL TEXT:
Throughout the last forty years, the works of Frank Auerbach and the very
specific world they evoke have been an inescapable presence in British
figurative painting. Together with the equally powerful works of his two
somewhat older colleagues, Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud, and those of
Auerbach's close contemporary and friend Leon Kossoff, with whom he studied
under David Bomberg in the late 1940s and early 1950s, Auerbach has been a
singular and uncompromising artistic force. All four artists have stood firm,
holding up painting as the primary means of adding to the sum of useful art in
the world. Their activity has taken place throughout a largely sceptical half
century and more, as the idea of art as real image has moved away from material
realisation through oil on canvas. For the twentieth century, from which
culturally we have not yet escaped, was dominated by collage, photography and
film, as far as two-dimensional depictions of the world are concerned.

FINAL TEXT:
The many works of Frank Auerbach created in his first 40 years are a universe of
empty-type inventions.

Nothing pertaining to watercolours and British culture allow us to avoid
it/them.

The artists Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud and Lian Kosaf, something and new, were
intensely self correct.

...

Each of the four artists strongly mutually agreed that watercolour is the
principal tool for increasing the intensity of art.

I'm not certain I understand the referent of the last sentence.

Many people have opined that the concept of art started to be divided.

After 1900, illuminations and group pictures and cinema showing pictures of the
Earth were more important than the aforementioned art.

The four artists worked during the early development of these ideas.

--And.