Subject: Re: [lojban] mlana

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:53:08 +0000

la lojbab cusku di'e

>After verifying with Nora (so this is two opinions as to what I meant), we
>were trying to deal with things like cubes which have 6 sides/faces, and
>the orientation is arbitrary. So x3 would be the direction that the side
>of the cube is facing.

Let's work with actual examples:

le bolci cu zunle le kubli mi
le bolci cu mlana le kubli fo mi

The ball is to the left of the cube (considering the cube as facing me).
The ball is to the side of the cube (considering the cube as facing
or with its back to me, same thing).

The "front" of the cube is the side that faces me.
In this case, the ball has no face, so x3 of mlana is meaningless,
right?

>The note in the cf. applies in particular to zunle and pritu, and I was
>trying to clarify how mlana differs from them. In those two, the frame of
>reference is determined by what direction is "front".

Front of x2, right? Not front of the speaker.

>In mlana, the
>orientation is not so limited, and x2 could be facing in any direction, and
>x4 could be specified independent of how x2 is facing.

Could you give an example? Do you mean that I could say
{le bolci cu mlana la djan} when the ball is in front of
John? In that case, what would I put in x3 and x4?

>The wording of the
>note says that zunle and pritu ARE limited in that x3 of those words must
>be the front.

Isn't x4 of mlana the same thing as x3 of pritu/zunle?

>I'll accept suggestions for better wording, should clarifications be
>permitted in the dictionary. I'll agree that the wording is anything but
>clear as it is.

I'm not sure I understand what x3 of mlana is for yet.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com