Subject: Re: [lojban] Again/next?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:54:53 +0000

la camgusmis cusku di'e

>Well, given a hypothetical member of PA that meant 'more than the
>current amount by N, defaults to 1', call it xa'u, we could do xa'uru'e,
>could we not?

No, that would still mean "again". To see the difference more
clearly, change to another predicate that does not itself
include the idea of "more" the way "do better" does. Let's say
"I'll read this again" vs "I'll read this next time".

mi ba za'ure'u tcidu ti
I'll read this again.
(I have read it, I will for another time.)

ca le krefu mi ba tcidu ti
Next time I'll read this.
(Probably I did not read it this time.)

"Next time" does not refer to a repetition of "I read this".
It refers to a repetition of the background/conditions.
Next time I'm here, or next time I see the book, etc.
Certainly not "next time I read this, I'll read this".

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com