Subject: Re: [lojban] The 16 propositional attitude predicates

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:01:25 -0600

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 07:56:52PM -0500, Jordan DeLong wrote:
> > So it would seem that having "all the relevant facts" as a sort
> > default for x2 might be a useful thing. (In the case of {krici}
> > "all the relevant facts" are "that it exists", so that {mi krici
> > fi ko'a} would mean that I believe in ko'a, i.e. I believe that
> > ko'a exists.)
> 
> Except that zo'e already means "all the relevant blah about whatever".
> Assuming you mean "all the relevant" in the sense I think you mean.
> Obviously you don't know everything about john in "mi djuno fi la
> djan.", the things relevant to the discussion are already expressed
> through the elided zo'e.

I fail to see why the meaning of zo'e needs to be special cased here,
when it means "unspecified". I see no reason why this is a language
failing, rather than a speaker failing. Lojban is providing the
speaker with the ability to specify "all the revelvant blah" if they
so desire. If they don't want to specify that, we're not supposed to
be forcing them.

> I think either approach makes sense, but the latter has already been
> chosen, so we should stick with it. (we can't have lojban changing
> more frequently than a natlang changes, can we ? ;P )

We can't have Lojban changing (until the baseline ends).

-- 
Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Or any other orifice, for that matter.