Subject: RE: [lojban] as hard as he could go

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:53:18 +0000

la pier cusku di'e

>I suggest {ry. selka'e sutrai bajra}, or {ry. sutrai be le'i selka'e be ry.
>be'o be'o bajra}, detanruizing it one step.

I should have used {serai le ka sutra}, not just {rai}.

If we detanruize your version one more step we might get
{ry bajra serai le kamsutra verai le'i selka'e be ry}.
He runs with maximum speed, max among his possibilities.

la and cusku di'e

>It doesn't translate the English, but it seems a reasonable
>substitution. If I'd been translating from the Lojban I might
>do "rai le ka sutra" as "at top speed".

Yes, except it had to be {serai}, as it is the x2 of {traji}
that is the speed.

>Of course the English locution is part of a larger paradigm
>that extends to cases like "as soon as is convenient", "as
>quickly as she thought seemly", and so forth, and in these
>cases, "rai le ka" is obviously not an adequate solution.

Would {serai ... verai ...} work for the paradigm?
{serai le ka clira kei verai lei mapti}, {serai le ka sutra kei
verai lei da poi ko'a jinvi le du'u ke'a tcaci mapti}

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com