Subject: RE: [lojban] dictionary - which words?

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:55:22 -0400

At 12:18 PM 8/31/02 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>Lojbab:
> > I have been doing some thinking about the dictionary, and what words it
> > should contain (I'm especially thinking is terms of lujvo with place
> > structures, fu'ivla, and cmavo compounds).
>
>If by "cmavo compounds" you mean lujvo made from zei-glued cmavo, then
>they would just be a subtype of lujvo. If you mean sequences of cmavo
>that often get written without a space,

the latter

> then to include them in
>the dictionary would just perpetuate the spurious and insidious notion
>that these are in some way distinct from sequences of cmavo written
>without a space. That notion already contaminates the ma'oste, and
>should be knocked on the head, not reinforced.

You would have a descriptivist ignore actual usage? %^)

It is not that they are in some way distinct, it is that they have a 
specific translation to English (or some other target language.

I did not say how they would be listed in the dictionary. It seems to me 
that they should be listed in both forms, as actually used, and as separate 
words, since as you say they both mean the same thing.

Perhaps:

semau: se mau: less than (grammatical conversion of mau)
mau: more than; see also semau

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org