Subject: Re: [lojban] dictionary - which words?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:12:02 +0000

>From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
>On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 03:55:22PM -0400, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> > It is not that they are in some way distinct, it is that they have a
> > specific translation to English (or some other target language).
>
>And vice versa. "sadness" should not be omitted from the dictionary
>merely because it does not correspond to a single word.

Of course "sadness" should appear in the English-Lojban part,
but surely noone is planning to include "ka badri" as a separate
entry in the Lojban-English part, I hope. Similarly, "se mau"
should not be a separate entry.

> > semau: se mau: less than (grammatical conversion of mau)
> > mau: more than; see also semau
>
>I would simply omit the spaceless version, but sort it so that "se mau"
>appears where "semau" would be. (And, I suppose, where you'd expect to
>find it with the space in there.)

I would not expect to find either "se mau" nor "semau" as an entry
in a dictionary that lists words.

>Further, it seems like a poor idea to try and use the dictionary to
>correct a failing of the pedagogical process. Teach people how words
>break apart properly, and this is a nonconcern.

Exactly. Then when you want to know what "semau" means you search
under "mau" (or under "se" if that is the part you don't know).

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx