Subject: RE: [lojban] dictionary - which words?

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:19:05 -0400

>> > semau: se mau: less than (grammatical conversion of mau)
>> > mau: more than; see also semau
>>
>>I would simply omit the spaceless version, but sort it so that "se mau"
>>appears where "semau" would be. (And, I suppose, where you'd expect to
>>find it with the space in there.)

>I would not expect to find either "se mau" nor "semau" as an entry
>in a dictionary that lists words.

Existing dictionaries do not list words, they list *lexemes*. I would argue
that although semau is most certainly not a word, it equally certainly is a
lexeme. It therefore ought to be in the dictionary.

>>Further, it seems like a poor idea to try and use the dictionary to
>>correct a failing of the pedagogical process. Teach people how words
>>break apart properly, and this is a nonconcern.

>Exactly. Then when you want to know what "semau" means you search
>under "mau" (or under "se" if that is the part you don't know).

The problem, however, is that semau is one lexeme composed of two words, and
we might want to look up that lexeme. If I know se and mau, but I do not
know zmadu, then knowing that semau is se+mau does not tell me what it
*means*.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le balvi temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

pygypy gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x22C68020