Subject: pronunciation guide for lessons

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:24:39 +1000

Scott Weller suggested to me back in May that the pronunciation guide 
in the lessons should "give examples of each sound in each of several 
different languages (perhaps the six languages of the gismu 
generation algorithm)."

I think this is a cute idea, and am willing to run with it. Could I 
ask people to come up with example pronunciation words for the lerfu, 
in Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic? You'll be credited 
in the intro, of course. I know our user base is already covered for 
Chinese (Mandarin, I assume), Spanish, Russian; if worst comes to 
worst for Hindi and Arabic, I'll go to Berlitz.

Where the sound is not present in the language, I don't think 
near-enoughs should be included; just move on to the next. For voiced 
stops, e.g., I don't think a Chinese equivalent should be proposed; 
and I think the Chinese equivalent of p is Pinyin b [p], not Pinyin p 
[ph]...
-- 
[][][][] [][][][][][][][][][] [][][][]
Dr Nick Nicholas. [email-masked] http://www.opoudjis.net
University of Melbourne: [email-masked]
Chiastaxo dhe to giegnissa, i dhedhato potemu,
ma ena chieri aftumeno ecratu, chisvissemu. (I Thisia tu Avraam)