Subject: Re: [lojban] dictionary - which words?

From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:18:03 +0200

lojbab:

> "mau" by itself does NOT access all the places of "zmadu". If we are
going
> to list the meaning of "se mau" under "mau", why aren't we listing it
under
> "se". The 2nd place of zmadu is no more a part of the definition of mau
> than it is part of the definition of "se".

chapter 9, 6.6:

"The BAI cmavo, however, are far more precise than English prepositions,
because their meanings are fixed by the place structures of the
corresponding gismu."

So {mau} does access all the places of zmadu although only *gives* access to
the x1.

I think that BAI should be treated as special cases of {fi'o broda} (because
that's what they are) and be just included in the definition of zmadu. As
you point out, typesetting this is not easy. Under mau we should just have
"zmadu modal, see zmadu" Here is my idea of what a dictionary entry of zmadu
should look like:

{zmadu} ({zma} {mau})
more
x1 exceeds/is more than x2 in property/quantity x3 (ka/ni) by amount/excess
x4
examples with ka
examples with ni
brodymau/brodezma : x1 exceeds x2 in property/quantity broda by amount x3
examples of lujvo usage
modal : mau
examples of modal usage
!! often the mau modal and it's relatives only modify a sumti, they should
in be attached with {pe}

mu'omi'e greg.