Subject: Re: pronunciation guide for lessons

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:18:54 +1000

cu'u la .aulun.

>yet these IMHO are subtleties to be neglected
>for our purposes: only Wade-Giles mainly pays attention to the fact that in
>Putonghua the consonants [b], [d], [g] are unvoiced (there are hardly voiced
>sounds anyway!).

reading between the lines (same goes for Jorge's response on the 
Wiki): the point should be that I establish a contrast, any contrast, 
in the languages, rather than reproduce the Lojban phonemes? i.e. p 
vs. b for Mandarin, as opposed to p (or b) vs. "does not exist"? Or 
am I overgeneralising?

-- 
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
* Dr Nick Nicholas, Linguistics/French & Italian [email-masked] *
University of Melbourne, Australia http://www.opoudjis.net
* "Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity of locutional rendering, the *
circumscriptional appelations are excised." --- W. Mann & S. Thompson,
* _Rhetorical Structure Theory: A Theory of Text Organisation_, 1987. *
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****