Subject: Re: [lojban] another "simple" translation

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:32:29 -0400

On Thursday 05 September 2002 15:09, G. Dyke wrote:
> --

I recognized the passage immediately, but have unfortunately misplaced my 
copy of the book. Could you post the original?

> ni'o slafriti la leon.vert.

I'm not sure {sla-} is right, though I've seen it somewhere. That should be 
{fi la leon. vert.}. I think the sense of {slafriti} is a ceremony at which 
you dedicate a building to someone or some purpose, not a dedication in a 
book.

> ni'o .e'o loi verba cu fraxu mi lenu mi ba'o slafriti lo makcu prenu goi
> ko'a le ti cukta

I'd drop the {ba'o}. He just did it, and the emphasis is not on having 
finished it but on dedicating it wrongly. The word order should be {le vi 
cukta le makcu prenu}, otherwise he's offering the man to the book.

> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo jai junri po'u ledu'u ko'a cu traji leka ce'u pendo
> mi kei le'i se terdi

{ciski} is a typo for {ciska} or {ciksi}. I assume {ciksi}, as the following 
clause looks more like an explanation than a writing instrument. I'm not sure 
what {jai junri} means here.

> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo drata po'u ledu'u ko'a pu'i jimpe fi roda no'u ji'a
> loi cukta fo loi verba
> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo cimoi po'u le du'u ko'a xabju le fasgu'e noi ne'i
> ke'a ko'a cu lenku je xagji.

{fasygu'e}

> .i ko'a .uu nitcu lonu xe'osku
> .i ganai le fraxu ciksi cu banzu gi mi slafriti .ie le verba po'u le binxo
> be ko'a leti cukta

That should be {le fraxu ve ciksi}.

> .i roda poi makcu pu verba to ku'i so'eri ca'a morji toi
> .i mi dragau lemi nu slafriti
> ni'o slafriti la leon.vert pe calenu ri cmalu verba

I'm not sure what the formula for dedicating should be in Lojban, but in 
French (before he corrects it) it is simply "À Léon Werth" with no verb. 
Perhaps a sumtcita would work.

phma