Subject: Re: [lojban] another "simple" translation

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:23:18 -0700

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 09:09:50PM +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
> --
> ni'o slafriti la leon.vert.

Leon Vert is a celebratory offering?? I think you need to look at the
place structure of friti, or put this word in jbovlaste or something.

> ni'o .e'o loi verba cu fraxu mi lenu mi ba'o slafriti lo makcu prenu
> goi ko'a le ti cukta

Please, children, forgive me for my having offered a grownup to this
book. [WTF? The man-eating book? zo'o]

> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo jai junri po'u ledu'u ko'a cu traji leka ce'u
> pendo mi kei le'i se terdi

[ I assume you mean 'ciksi']. I forgivingly explain by the serious
thing which is that he is my best friend in the whole world.
[In actually say 'in the world-contents direction', you need a 'fo' in
front of the "le'i"; check the place structure of traji].

> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo drata po'u ledu'u ko'a pu'i jimpe fi roda no'u
> ji'a loi cukta fo loi verba

I forgivingly explain [I assume you meant penitently, or
forgivess-seekingly; that's not what you have here. Try .u'u.] with
another thing, which is that he can and has understood about all those
things which additionally are ... [it breaks down here; as written, 'fo
loi verba' is in the x4 place of jimpe; you want to remove the 'loi';
having done so we have: ] books for children.

> .i mi fraxu ciski fo lo cimoi po'u le du'u ko'a xabju le fasgu'e noi
> ne'i ke'a ko'a cu lenku je xagji.

I forgivingly explain with a third thing, which is that [seems like poi
would work as well as po'u, and be somewhat clearer to my mind] he
dwelled in France, which within it he is cold and hungry. [fasygu'e,
btw, and you don't need the period at the end of the sentence. .u'i]

> .i ko'a .uu nitcu lonu xe'osku

Oh, he needed kindness!

> .i ganai le fraxu ciksi cu banzu gi mi slafriti .ie le verba po'u le
> binxo be ko'a leti cukta

If the forgiveness explanation is sufficient, then I do offer the
children which become him this book.

> .i roda poi makcu pu verba to ku'i so'eri ca'a morji toi

All which are adults were children (however, most actually remember).
[did you mean so'u?]

> .i mi dragau lemi nu slafriti

I am correct in my offering.

> ni'o slafriti la leon.vert pe calenu ri cmalu verba

Offered is Leon Vert when he was a small child.

[btw, la leon. vert. doesn't work; 'le' isn't allowed in cmene.]

> --
> 
> (it is by St Exupery in "Le petit prince" - the whole book is formed
> of identical form of expression, which would make it a nice book to
> translate into lojban)

Is it legal for us to do so?

If so, one of my gfs would be extremely interested.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/