Subject: Fwd: Request for help

From: "Logical Language Group, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 21:30:41 -0400

I'm putting this question to the list, partly to let people know of 
something interesting being done with Lojban, and partly to get other 
people to contribute to the response. Bear in mind the context of what 
they are trying to convey with non-visual cues, in choosing the appropriate 
Lojban phrasing.

I will relay the best response(s).

lojbab

>From: "Kaizen ESL Program" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Request for help
>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:42:09 -0700
>
>Dear Mr. LeChevalier,
>
>My colleague, Sylvie Kashdan, was in touch with you earlier this year about
>the use of Lojban to demonstrate some of the problems of new English
>learners. We specialize in teaching English as a second language to people
>who are blind or visually impaired. We also train volunteer tutors in this
>area.
>
>For our teaching and training we use objects and hands-on demonstrations in
>place of the visual cues, such as pictures and gestures, that are central to
>mainstream instruction. In our workshops we have effectively used basic
>lojban sentences to give tutor trainees a sense of the situation faced by
>new English learners with visual limitations.
>
>We have been asked to do a presentation at a national symposium in Atlanta
>on September 20. We plan to devote part of our time to an interactive
>demonstration of our use of lojban, for which I would like to include a few
>new phrases the translations of which I have not been able to figure out. I
>consulted the draft dictionary on the official lojban web site but was
>unable to find an appropriate match.
>
>I would be grateful if you could help me to understand and translate the
>simple motions of moving one's hand forward and moving it back. I know that
>hand is xance, but could not find a verb-like structure for 'move.' For
>forward (the closest I come is crane (cra)), but don't trust my
>interpretation. For back(ward) the closest I come is se'ixru, again not
>very sure.
>
>I will appreciate any help you can give me with these words/phrases, and it
>will definitely add to the interest and effectiveness of our presentation.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>
>Robby Barnes
>
>KAIZEN PROGRAM for New English Learners with Visual Limitations
>810-A Hiawatha Place South
>Seattle, WA 98144
>phone: (206) 784-5619
>e-mail: [email-masked]

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org