Subject: Re: [lojban] me le cmalu turni me'u panomoi bo pagbu

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:38:14 +0000

la greg cusku di'e

> > i e'e do ja'a kakne
>
>{e'edai} I think this a case where {dai} should be used ju'oru'e

To better understand {e'e} I look at its neighbours:

e'a permission: you may do it! I let you do it.
e'e exhortation: you can do it! I encourage you to do it.
e'o request: please do it! I ask you to do it.
e'u suggestion: you might do it! I suggest you do it.
ei obligation: you should do it! I think you should do it.

They are all primarily oriented to the actions of the hearer,
though this is by no means a restriction: {do} need not be the
agent of the bridi, it might be someone else. The speaker
is the one who gives permission, exhorts, requests, suggests
or feels that something should be done, it is not the one
allowed, exhorted, asked, suggested or obliged to do something,
unless of course the actor is {mi}.

(I did not include {e'i} there because I'm not yet quite sure
what it means, but I expect it will belong in there too.)

I think "exhortation" would be a better keyword than "competence"
for {e'e}: It is not the competence of the speaker that is at
stakes, it is rather that the speaker feels that the agent is
competent to do whatever it is they're doing or would be doing.

>Hey, I just noticed why your texts look so attractive: you've gotten rid of
>all those unnecessary explicit {.}

Exactly :)

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com