Subject: Re: [lojban] Estivation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:05:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2002 4:35:11 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> PC estivates? I've just ended my estival vacation. But I am sick of this
> euphuism, which I believe to be a crime worthy of eviration
>>
Well, I shouldn't have thought "estivation" particularly euphuistic; Lyly's 
vocabulary wasn't very odd, though his choices were often based on other than 
semantic considerations -- which doesn't apply here. "Estivation" is, by the 
way, an old word in LoCCan circles, though I can't remember any of the Loglan 
or Lojban words devised for it over the years (starting with {cimri} or 
{crisa}, of course). So I don't think that using it calls for an orchidectomy 
-- or even a kick in the cojones.
I am forbidden from using my own favorite expression for getting away, 
"summercation," by the fact that that seems exclusively for Maine and I don't 
get there any more ("summa people -- sum a'n't.")

<<
You want to impress us, post the chimical name for tryptophan synthetase A
protein.
Not my pigeon. And if you gave it to me, I couldn't create a sensible Lojban 
form for it either -- check with pier.