Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:29:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2002 2:24:06 PM Central Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

<<
> I'd like to point out that a "book" is a physical object.
> >>

Not obviously. The physical object contains the book, on one perfectly 
normal sense of "book," but is not the book. Note that the same book can 
exist in many different media -- physical forms. 
None of this makes {ralcukta} more or less plausibly a good lujvo for the Web 
or internet or....

<<
"The Web" is an abstraction. The "web" as it "exists" is nothing 
more than information sources (webservers, whatever) connected 
by *an* "internet". The "internet" is nothing more than the inter-connection
of local networks to a larger network.

Also not obviously. If all its components are physical objects, as they sem 
to be in this description, how is the whole not physical? I suppose that you 
mean that it is the principle of organization, not what is organized, that is 
the Web, but I don't see that that corresponds to normal usage -- the Web I 
know is the sites I go to.

<<
So, that said, "www" could be thought of as:

[information sources] [linked by network (electronic, carrier pigeon, 
whatever)]

( i can't think of good lujvo for the above bracketed concepts at the moment, 
sorry. )

A relief. This would be another literalist lujvo (i.e., no one has yet had 
the wit to come up with a snappy metaphor). 

<<
I vote for leaving 'cukta' implying a physical object.

'cukta dinju' => ckudi'u ~= "library"

maybe something like: ckudi'u + [network linking concept]
Not red hot -- even in literalist terms -- for "library," except for the 
place down the road that contains the library. Many libraries are not so 
contained, some being in just one room, others being spread over many 
buildings. And the compound sounds more like inter-library loan than 
anything to do with the Web (which, I thought you'd held, didn't contain 
books).

Sorry if this sounds harsh; I think I am infected by the parallel discussion.