Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:34:17 -0700

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 05:20:17PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell scripsit:
> 
> > Then I'm a little confused as to why people seem to be working so
> > hard on it. 8)
> 
> In my *personal* (not LLG) opinion, all translations whatsoever into
> Lojban are fair use under U.S. law (though not necessarily under other
> countries' laws, which narrowly restrict or reject the notion). Even
> if the entire text is translated, the use is scholarly/educational and
> noncommercial, having zero effect on the market for the original.

Wow.

Umm, just for the record, IANAL, but I am 80% certain that this is
Completely Wrong under current US law. And I've discussed this sort of
stuff A Lot.

While monetary impact is probably the most important issue, it's not the
sole one:

http://www.umass.edu/langctr/fu.html

Translating the whole work would, if noticed, almost without question
get us handed a cease & desist letter.

Now, if all discussions of the translation occured entirely in lojban,
and the original was never posted...

8)

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/