Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:39:44 -0700

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 02:34:17PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Translating the whole work would, if noticed, almost without question
> get us handed a cease & desist letter.

More:

>>From http://www.publaw.com/work.html

This is not a pure ratio or an absolute quantity of words test since
using a whole work may be fair use under some circumstances, while using
a small fraction of a work may not qualify for fair use under other
circumstances. The sanctioning of the unauthorized copying of entire
works as fair use is an exception and not the rule. Therefore, anyone
who uses all or substantially all of a work, particularly a literary
work, is asking for trouble, and will probably be found to have exceeded
the bounds of fair use. 

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/