Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:45:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2002 3:30:26 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> Heh.
> 
> Then I'm a little confused as to why people seem to be working so hard
> on it. 8)
> >>

I think the question of copyright arose in connection with putting up 
non-Lojban text (French or English), not about translating it (for scholarly 
and non-commercial purposes, etc.). Raising the question of translation 
about a game text (which would be defended by a more thorough group of 
lawyers than defend a ditzy flier's estate) was dismissed out of hand, so I 
think we feel that we can translate without fear. Publishing a pony would not 
do, though, apparently.

More interesting is the question of why we keep picking either on supposedly 
children's literature (but often thought to be very deep). Why not (as I 
have said before) pick on someone our own size, where the various kinds of 
play involved in kiddy lit don't apply and so the possibility of reasonably 
decent translations is greater. (I personally don't care much for PP, so 
screw it up to your hearts' content -- though it is pretty badly screwed up 
in the original anyhow).