Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:18:01 +0000 (UTC)

> I'd like to point out that a "book" is a physical object.

Not at all. The definition from 

English/Lojban Dictionary - First draft official publication 26 September 1994

is that `book' is:

* book (container of a copy of a work, possibly multiple volumes), 
x1 is a book containing work x2 by author x3 for audience x4 preserved
in medium x5 
/:/ [x1 is a manifestation/container [a physical object or its
analogue] of a work/content, not necessarily using paper (= selpapri)]
/:/
/=/ cukta (cku)

The fifth place is the mark up language. That has been important for
the dozen or so books I have published. The fifth place tells us the
way the source is *preserved*. (Some might say that `electronically'
is the medium, but that tells us less.)

It goes without saying that the source format is different from the
output format and that the output format for each {cukta} has been
made public online in two ways, HTML (with the impossibly ineffient
naviagation that that format requires, as [email-masked]
pointed out) and Info (which still has the best online navigation
going), and in hard copy both as plain text and as a traditional,
typeset and bound `book', in the old meaning of the word.

As far as I can see, the English/Lojban Dictionary definition is
excellent. It fits both the traditional and the modern situations.

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked] [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com
Free Software Foundation http://www.gnu.org GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8