Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:27:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2002 4:52:22 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> You seem to be in a jolly mood today, maybe you could pick out something
> *worth* translating.
>>

Robin:
<<
Suggest something out of copyright, with reasonably modern language,
originally written in English, that someone besides you here has
actually read.

I thought I did this back in the Alice days, but OK again:
Any novel by Henry James or Edith Wharton. 
If that is too much (but there are a few that are as short as Alice, even 
after the draught), how about any non-dialect short story of Mark Twain 
(1601, A Medieval Romance)? 
If that is too small, how about The Dubliners or any part thereof, or 
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man?
Origin of Species?
"On Denoting" by Berty?
I can't remember where Virginia Wolf's stuff is at the moment.
The first page -- and all the footnotes thereunto appertaining -- of The 
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
(East Lynne, Abie's Irish Rose -- probably not, since both use dialect -- 
maybe Major Barbara or something a bit earlier or The Importance of Being 
Earnest -- nice chance for lujvo there)
Three Men in a Boat.

That is about all I can read from here without getting up or changing my 
glasses. Enough to keep even xorxes busy for a week or two.

<<
What does 'publishing a pony' mean?
Providing a public English text for a work in another language.

<<
You have no idea how much money that "ditzy flier's" estate makes, do
you?

Probably not, but surely significantly less than various game producers do -- 
books, after all, have significant production costs. And I doubt that PP and 
VN together have gone double platinum as one game was reported to have done 
in its first week on sale.

<<
Umm, it was? What game? By whom?
Yes. The Legend of Zelda. (question ambiguous) trl by raizen, dismissal by 
Kominek (with prejudice). All on 9-10 July 2002.