Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: Bob LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:43:34 -0400

At 02:52 PM 9/10/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>I've already answered this question to you, but I'll try again:
>
>Suggest something out of copyright, with reasonably modern language,
>originally written in English, that someone besides you here has
>actually read.

I recommend that people start by looking at what is available on Project 
Gutenberg and other online text archives that are validated against 
copyright problems.
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL
There's only around 3400 books done to choose from on this one source.

The following have lists of non-Gutenberg etexts
http://www.infomotions.com/alex/titles/
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/titles.html
The latter list is 3 megabytes long in a browse file, so there is an 
enormous amount of stuff to choose from, but some is pretty obscure

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/in-progress.html
lists stuff that is in progress or which has been requested but not started.

http://www.lib.virginia.edu/wess/etexts.html
has lists of etexts in several other European languages.

I remain partial to Burton's version of the Arabian Nights of which 12 
volumes are up on Gutenberg (not sure if its complete - I've seen up to 30 
volume versions), because it has the virtue of being of classic interest 
and because it definitely is NOT a children's book but retained some of the 
general appeal of same. But whether the language is "reasonably modern" is 
a matter of opinion; it is Victorian era and he was trying to emulate the 
flowery style of the Arabic.

It also is not something that will be finished real soon, but yet can be 
broken up into pieces of arbitrary size, since there are tales a page or 
two long and tales of close to novel length.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org