Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: Jim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, John Cowan wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell scripsit:
>
> > Then I'm a little confused as to why people seem to be working so hard
> > on it. 8)
>
> In my *personal* (not LLG) opinion, all translations whatsoever into Lojban
> are fair use under U.S. law (though not necessarily under other countries'
> laws, which narrowly restrict or reject the notion). Even if the entire
> text is translated, the use is scholarly/educational and noncommercial,
> having zero effect on the market for the original.

Actually, look on the web site (http://www.lepetitprince.com/) under
"Droits d'auteur et droits de reproduction". They say (jimc translation),
quote:

The reproduction of texts on paper is authorized in academic use if these 3
conditions are complied with: 1. No-cost dissemination; 2. Respect for
the integrity of the documents reproduced (no modification or alteration);
3. Clear and readable citation of the source in the following form...
For all other utilization, please consult with us.

It's very likely that they would allow a translation with no fee, if asked
politely, and they probably would allow juxtaposed reproduction of the
original French text. Of course anyone in "le cadre pédagogique" can read
French fluently :-)

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email-masked] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)