Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:33:10 -0400 (EDT)

And Rosta scripsit:

> How does that work, being in Baker Street last Saturday, in 1895?

It's not easy.

> I had supposed pc to be saying that he was in the Sherlock Holmes
> museum last Saturday on his summer hols (221 is a bank & -- iirc -- didn't 
> exist in the 1890s).

At that time, the house that Dr. Watson called "221B Baker Street" was
in fact officially known as "30 York Place", but York Place was a short
street joining Baker Street and Upper Baker Street, later relabeled.
(York Place ran from Paddington Street/Crawford Street north to Marylebone
Road.) There were and are lots of other York this-n-thats on the London
map, so "York Place" without specifying "Baker Street" would have been
hopelessly ambiguous. The modern (post-1930) number is 111 Baker Street.

Holmes's house was definitively identified by one Dr. Gray Chandler Briggs,
based on his chance discovery around 1930 of a building actually
bearing the plaque "Camden House", which we are told in "The Adventure
of the Empty House" stands directly across from Holmes's building.
(Doyle claimed this was a total coincidence, and said he had not been
in Baker Street for at least 30 years -- but from the Holmesian point
of view, the identification is far too satisfying to give up.)

-- 
There is / One art John Cowan <[email-masked]>
No more / No less http://www.reutershealth.com
To do / All things http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
With art- / Lessness -- Piet Hein