Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:33:56 +0200

Robin:
> I would be fine with something like samja'odatni, actually. I don't
> feel any great need for something that only applies to the WWW as such.
> Something that could easily apply to any linked network store would be
> fine to me.
>

that is a samseltcana or a datnyseltcana depending on whether you're
focusing on the Internet or the www

Xod:
> > Also, it neglects the unique, singleton nature of the WWW. (There is
> > only one WWW,

If there is only one WWW, then it is moot to make a selbri out of it. It is
{la ueb} or {la civys} or some similar, hopefuly understandable, dairdai

> How do you define something as being part of the WWW? If a page can be
> reached by URL but is not linked anywhere, does that count?
>
> > but there can be any number of masses of web resources in existence.)
>
> Hmmm. Gonna have to ponder that.
>
> > "la ralcku" can be used, sidestepping this whole discussion.

Only by people who were around when we had this discussion. I firmly believe
that the only words lojbanists *should* ever need to look up are already
published in wordlists. If a lujvo needs looking up (with the possible
exception of one used in some particular field, which has a complex place
structure, is often used in that field, but never by anyone else) it is
f**** useless. No, scrap that idea, any lujvo which is not created for zipf
purposes and understandable on the fly is useless. I'll start a topic on
what we all think lujvo are for, that should keep us going 'till christmas
(winter solstice for all of us except xorxes ;-)

>
> True.
>
> > And "le" leaves such room for latitude that in practice and with the
> > publicity generated by this discussion, "le ralcku" can surely be used
> > with understanding now.

yeah, you say {la ueb goi le ralcku} and then you can use ralcku to you
hearts content.

mi'egreg