Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:00:59 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked] writes:

Everyone, I've been using the word "cukta" to mean roughly: a collection
of documents and/or pages. I don't believe that I have yet heard an
argument that contradicts this by adding more restrictions to the
definition which are derived from the place structures, and not simply
induced from the stereotypical "book". ...

Hmmm... we must be using different definitions for {cukta}. In the
definition from

English/Lojban Dictionary - First draft official publication 26 September 1994

which is what I have, a `book' is a `work' (singular), not `works' (plural).

The Web is clearly `works' (plural). Most sites are a `work' (singular).
Hence, a site is a `book', but the Web is not.

Here is the definition that I am using:

* book (container of a copy of a work, possibly multiple volumes),
x1 is a book containing work x2 by author x3 for audience x4
preserved in medium x5
/:/ [x1 is a manifestation/container [a physical object or its
analogue] of a work/content, not necessarily using paper (=
selpapri)]
/:/
/=/ cukta (cku)

Has it changed?

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked] [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com
Free Software Foundation http://www.gnu.org GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8