Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:07:53 -0400

At 08:33 PM 9/11/02 +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
> > > Also, it neglects the unique, singleton nature of the WWW. (There is
> > > only one WWW,
>
>If there is only one WWW, then it is moot to make a selbri out of it. It is
>{la ueb} or {la civys} or some similar, hopefuly understandable, dairdai

That is true, but yet people have the concept of "universe" even though 
supposedly there is only one of them. "la ueb." maybe the only referent 
for an x1 of any selbri meaning "the WWW", but of course there could be 
other places in the structure (and indeed if there is only one place, it 
probably should remain a name only).

> > > "la ralcku" can be used, sidestepping this whole discussion.
>
>Only by people who were around when we had this discussion. I firmly believe
>that the only words lojbanists *should* ever need to look up are already
>published in wordlists.

I disagree, since the words already in wordlists of lujvo are more or less 
limited to examples that were selected precisely because someone set forth 
a definition.

>If a lujvo needs looking up (with the possible
>exception of one used in some particular field, which has a complex place
>structure, is often used in that field, but never by anyone else) it is
>f**** useless. No, scrap that idea, any lujvo which is not created for zipf
>purposes and understandable on the fly is useless.

The latter is closer, but what constitutes being "understandable on the 
fly". Many (if not most) lujvo are used with no real effort being made by 
the speaker or the user to figure out their place structures because 
context and the source tanru are sufficient for communication. Thus by 
definition they were "understandable on the fly" at the time. But used in 
a different situation they may not be understandable.

lojbab

lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org