Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Le Petit Prince: Can we legally translate it?

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:11:27 -0400

At 02:38 PM 9/11/02 -0400, Invent Yourself wrote:
>It seems to me that the discursives and explicit logic of Lojban lend it
>to the creation (or at least translation) of philosophical texts better
>than the attempt to duplicate or maintain the rich, culturally-laden
>colloquial vernaculars and real-world descriptions found in novels.

But philosophy is BORING and the choice of words used in translating a 
philosophical text ends up engendering as much philosophical discussion as 
the original text was trying to communicate.

Rich, culturally laden vernacular CAN be translated into Lojban, but 
cultural references may need footnoted explanation (something Burton 
included in his unabridged translation of Arabian Nights).

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org