Subject: Re: [lojban] 221B and all

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:25:54 EDT

(This is meant mainly for Cowan and And, but I am sending it to all to avoid 
having extra copies coming in.)
The nearest real location to 221B Baker Street in 1895 (as it always is in 
Sherlock-land, as someone -- Ronnie Knox, probably --remarked) is irrelevant, 
since the current Museum (which is not actually at that address, unless they 
have cut a deal with the Post Office -- a real possibility) is where the 
mystique lives (though not, I thought, six quid worth). Addresses change so 
often in London that we can say that it *might* have been 221 at some time or 
other (I took a picture of 22 Russell Square, the address where a great 
grandmother was born, but I am reasonably certain that it is the wrong house 
-- not that it matters for the folks back home.)

As for meeting And, I thought about trying to set something up, since I was 
in England (and a bit of Wales) for more than 2 weeks, but I am glad I didn't 
since I don't think I could have worked in one more thing than I did. The 
trip to the Hallowed Ground was a chance thing, a gap between arriving at 
Paddington (how come no one has picked on that -- or the other -- bear?) from 
Ludlow and taking the express from there to Heathrow to catch the flight 
home.

Remember, Holmes is not the omniscient detective -- that is The Thinking 
Machine (name and author gone).