Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:31:40 -0400

At 05:25 PM 9/11/02 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>In a message dated 9/11/2002 1:11:59 PM Central Daylight Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
><<
>> > On a parallel note, it's interesting that the people who were around
>> > when the notion of lujvo was being developed have a quite different
>> > understanding of the intent behind lujvo than those who came much
>> > later in the game. Poor communication?
>>
>>Has anyone besides PC who was around then spoken up on this point?
>
> >>
>Is there anyone besides pc (lowercase, please) who was around then and 
>still active?
>Ah yes, Chassell -- who wisely stays out of this kind of dispute (and just 
>about all others not involving software).

I should note at this juncture that Nora (who dates back almost as far as 
you pc, and probably further than Chassell) is now a distinct personage 
(from me) on Lojban List and the net. She hasn't yet gotten up to posting 
on the list (and the current volume is intimidating her against starting), 
though perhaps people have noticed her adding to the wiki, but she now is 
regularly reading.

I date back to 1979, and Gary Burgess slightly predates me, since he told 
me about Loglan.

>The problem is partly poor communication, perhaps, but more (I think) a 
>break in institutional continuity and a small but significant shift in the 
>demographics of the community. There are, it seems, no longer any 
>significant number of non-computer people around (I apologize to anyone 
>that I have missed) and that has led to a more algorithmic approach to 
>issues than the more humane sort that once was at least present, if not 
>dominant. Most old lujvo were also literalist, but these were discarded 
>when a telling metaphor came along -- as it fairly often did when the 
>concept was useful enough.

I think there are a significant number of non-computer people around, but 
they aren't the ones arguing the issues. We can all imagine what Athelstan 
would say about a computer-ish concept of lujvo (though whether he is 
"active" at this point is ambiguous). Ivan of course was the most explicit 
promoter of other forms of lujvo through his paper on metaphor, which is 
the underlying basis for the discussion of tanru in CLL. I believe that 
most of the tanru examples there are unitary words in other languages that 
were mentioned in Ivan's paper.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org